Monday, May 7, 2012

Music

Music plays an interesting role in my life, and I often contemplate the irony of it.

I enjoy music and I can't imagine my life without it, however I wouldn't consider myself a music "lover." I don't have the passion for it that others do.

When I'm driving, I prefer the silence. On the rare occasions that I do listen to music as I drive around town, it is usually The Sounds of Sunday. The only time I really like to listen to music is when I am by myself driving long distances. If I am a passenger, I almost always prefer to talk or sit in silence, even if it is a long drive. I listen to music at home as I am getting ready, editing pictures or playing tetris, but I still would not consider myself a "lover" of music. I once got an ipod for Christmas. I had it for a year before I finally put music on it. I probably listened to two songs and then put it away again. A year after that I sold it to a good home who actually knew how to listen to music. 

The irony? A lot of my friends are music lovers and are extremely passionate about it.
The result is that, although I don't particularly care for music, it has played a major role in my life.

I don't really like concerts, like the kind where everyone stands up and sings along with their hands in the air. I don't like large groups of people or loud noise. I usually put ear plugs in and find a relatively empty corner to wait in until it's time to leave.

Some of the concerts I have been to. All pictures were taken after the show was over and I came out from my hiding place in the corner.

The Irony? I have been to so many concerts that I don't even try to keep count. In fact, I have been in charge of, or been a part of putting on several of the concerts I have been to.

It all started when Krisann convinced Katelyn to be the managers over a show on campus called Grand Pianos Live.


(This video is the extent of my music ability. Haha, just kidding. But it's not too far beyond that)

Talent Board

As I got more involved with Talent, I made friends with the performers and Music became a natural part of my every day life. Not because I was listening to it on the radio or on my ipod, but because it was the activity of choice.


my favorite song  :)







Katelyn and I even got two songs dedicated to us!


This is the same song as above, but at the concert where they dedicated it to us.
(The other recording is better, but this is the proof. Also, this version doesn't cut the end off.)


 You might start understanding how much music was in my life at this point, but it gets better. I joined a band!


Haha, just kidding! As cool as this band was, I'm actually being serious.

We're Not Desperate, Just Lonely - I played the electric drums
The Realists - I played the tambourine

We weren't that fabulous, but it was fun to be together making music.


We threw this song together in two days. again, not amazing, but all things considered I think it's pretty good. They even requested that we perform in another show!


We should have made it into the Best of Guitars Unplugged with this song (we even had bands who did make it in tell us that we should have been in their spot and they were so surprised we hadn't made it) but unfortunately there were some Talent politics involved, so we didn't make it. Oh well.

having musical friends has it's perks.


I got the opportunity to be recorded singing on a Christmas album for The Climbing
(Which, by the way, I am still waiting to hear. I guess that's what happens when the recording person gets engaged.)

The good news is that my music ability did improve from all of this....


And the best news of all? I got a song written specifically for me!


(This has been my number one post since it went up, and the movie never even worked! For all you who viewed and were disappointed, here it is!)

Anyway, the point is that music and I have an odd relationship.

I'm grateful for the good friends who have exposed me to such great music experiences and made me a well rounded music appreciator. 

Why an I posting about this? I guess because all my musical friends are gone now, and I feel like there is a little empty place inside of me.
I miss being surrounded by musical talent.


It was fun









No comments:

Post a Comment