Thursday, March 7, 2013

Bring It!

When I was about 12 I started climbing with my older brother, Logan, who was about 18 at the time. I am amazed that he (or the people who worked there!) ever trusted me to belay him. Every time he fell I would go flying up and we would meet half way, but I never let him fall!


Just before Logan left on his mission, he and my dad took me climbing outside for the first time. I made it to the top without much problem, but it took at least 20 minutes to get me to back down. I still hate having to come down. It terrifies me to have to let go of the rock and let someone else hold my life in their hands. I hate not having control.


Once my brother left, I kept climbing here and there, but nothing much. In college, I took a rock climbing class with my cousin. We had so much fun! I started climbing more with friends, but I was never consistent.


Now that I don't have school and homework to worry about anymore, I have finally decided to start climbing on a more regular basis and maybe even get good at it! This week I climbed my first 5.10! I've been working towards it for a while, so it was pretty exciting. I felt so energized, like I could take on anything! Bring it on!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I know I'm a little late for the whole "New Years Resolution" post, and I don't believe in setting goals anyway, but I do have a few thoughts on the year 2013. If you tilt your head to the side and squint a little, you can kind of see the relation to rock climbing. I guess I could explain it a little better, but I need to get back to work and don't have time, and I'm not good with words anyway. Just use your imagination and draw your own conclusions  :)

For me, the year of 2013 has been about pushing myself - going out of my comfort zone, trying new things, letting go a little and giving up control, pushing myself a little harder to go a little farther.

Let me tell you, it is not always easy, and it is definitely scary

I find myself wondering, "Is it really worth it?"
Every time the answer is "Yes!"

I am so grateful for the experiences that I have been able to have and the ways that I have grown.

2013, bring it on!


1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Allison, and I love you! And for someone who doesn't believe in setting goals, you've always been one to stretch yourself even if you're not writing it down as a goal. You are awesome, Al! I have a feeling you're going to have a great year!

    ReplyDelete