Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Accidentally Threw A Party . . . .

Last week was quite eventful and I have a lot to catch up on. Today, you only get the story of the accidental party that I apparently threw.

I have a friend named David Loomis who is not very good at being spontanious. We've been working on it, but he can never quite grasp the concept that there is absolutely no planning involved.

One night, I was talking with Chelsey and she mentioned that she wanted to clean the sink at Angie's some time. For those who don't know, "cleaning the sink" means you eat a whole bunch of ice cream that has been put in a sink. It's fun. Anyway, because we had recently talked to Dave about cleaning the sink, and because we were working on his spontaneity, and because I knew he was horrible at spontaneity and the chances of it actually happening were slim to none, we decided to text him and see if he wanted to clean the sink that night. There was no response and I chalked it up for another failed spontaneous moment, as I had predicted.

About an hour later, Dave decides to text me back and ask what time we were going. Because I hadn't planned on going to begin with, I hadn't actually told anyone about it. Not wanting to say this to Dave, however, I told him 9:00 and that he could invite whoever he wanted. He told me he would "let me know"  I was still confident that he would back out and was just humoring me, but I sent a quick text to everyone I knew in Logan (probably 10 people tops, and only 4 of them well enough that they would actually have a possibility of coming).

Text:  "clean the sink at angies tonight at 9"

Nothing fancy or encouraging. It was around 8:30 when I sent it, so I thought it would be way too late and short notice for people to want to go. No one responded back and I was sure that was the end of it.

Chelsey left to visit a friend. Kandace called me and we had a great conversation (we really need to talk more often!) As we were talking, Eric/Patux called. I figured I would call him back after I finished with Kandace, but he called again and I felt bad ignoring him twice. Kandace and I finished our conversation and I called Eric back.

Eric:  "Where are you?"
Me:  "Sitting on my bed. Why?"
Eric:  "Uh... Are you coming to Angie's?"

Realization set in of what had happened, and I felt so bad! He had never told me he was coming!?

I quickly apologized, told him it was canceled and that he could still come over and we would do something. We hung up and he started driving over to get me.

It was at this time that Dave texted me, telling me that he had 5 people and was on his way to Angie's at that very moment. What!?

Eric pulled up then and I told him that plans had changed and Angies was back on! I texted Chelsey and she said she and her friend would get to Angie's as soon as they could. Just then, I got a call from my roommate, Catherine (another person I had texted)

Cate:  "Hey, where are you guys?"
Me:  "Um... Are you at Angie's?"
Cate:  "Yeah, are you here?"
Me:  "Uh... I'm on my way right now! (I was sitting in my living room) But Dave should be there. He just texted me"
Cate:  "Dave isn't here...."

We decided that they should just get a table that would fit a lot of people (I had no clue how many people would actually show up for this!) and that we would get there as soon as we could.

It was some mass confusion that ended up being a really fun spontaneous time!

This is the only thing I got from the night because my camera died right after.

We had a good number of people come! I ended up getting breakfast (so good!) and Cathrine and Tyler got dinner because we hadn't eaten yet (yes,  it was at least 9:30 by this time, and I still hadn't eaten anything) Two people didn't eat anything, but came for the company, and everyone else got the Kitchen Sink and finished it off nicely.

Let me say again that none of these people told me that they were planning on coming! I had no idea that I was really throwing a party, but I'm sure glad that I did! It ended up being such a fun night!

Thanks everyone for your spontaneity!


P.S.  Let it be known that we counted it up and there were more people there off my invitation than Dave's. Winner!

P.P.S.  It can also be known that, against all odds, Dave was spontaneous. Way to go.







1 comment:

  1. Haha that's so great! I was still confused after we got off the phone when you told me you were going to clean the sink. Glad it worked out in your favor. That's awesome! I also feel honored to be mentioned in your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete