Thursday, June 13, 2013

Lessons Learned From Grandma Hill


Once upon a time I didn't have to work on Friday!
I decided to celebrate by going to Draper/Provo to visit family.
It was such a great trip! But this story is specifically about our visit with Grandma Hill.

I picked Courtney up in Draper and we headed to Provo to see Grandma Hill. 
After visiting at her house for a while, we decided to take Grandma to the store for some groceries. 
I offered to take my car, since Grandmas car was at her neighbors house. 

really bad picture of me.... but grandma is lookin' good!

Grandma seemed worried. "Does your car run well? Do you think it will make it?"

Courtney and I chuckled. "Well I made it this far, so I hope we can make it to the store!"

I put Grandma in the back seat, turned the car on, shifted to reverse, and.... my car died! 
I didn't even make it out if the driveway! (We were actually half out of the driveway with the back of my car in the middle of the street)

Grandma is psychic!

I tried to start it a few more times. Nothing! It was completely dead. Didn't even turn over when I tried starting it. 

The steering wheel locked so we couldn't turn it to coast down the street to a parking space. I put the car in neutral and Courtney and I both got out to push it back into the driveway so it wouldn't be in the middle of the street. We could push it to the dip just before the driveway, but we couldn't get the back tires over. We kept trying to run and put the car in park before it would roll backwards again, but we weren't very successful. It was definitely a funny sight though and we got a good laugh out of it! 

Grandma was still sitting in the back of the car for this whole ordeal (just getting a kick out of us, I'm sure) I decided to take her inside so she didn't get heat stroke. When I came back out a nice man came and helped us. 

Throughout this whole thing, I kept having flash backs to the last time my car died and I just knew we would have to call a tow truck. 

My phone had died earlier that day, so Courtney set to work trying to get a tow truck.
We called AAA twice and they were no help because our parents weren't with us.

Lame. 

grandma looking up the a repair shop

Grandma kept saying: 
"I think we should say a prayer"
"Lets say a prayer"
"I think we should pray"
"Maybe we should say a prayer"
"Do you think we should pray?"
"I think if we said a prayer, your car would start again?"

To which we responded:
"It's not going to start again, we need a tow truck. We'll pray after we get a tow truck"

courtney on the phone forever

After a long time on the phone, we finally got a tow truck to come get us.

I told the tow man what had happened and he told me to try starting it so he could see.
I turned the key and.... it started!

Boy, did I feel sheepish.

I guess that's what we get for putting our "trust in the arm of flesh"

The tow man was very nice and said he wouldn't charge me. He drove away.... and then came back! He told me to drive my car up and down the street just to make sure it really was working ok (it was) He was the nicest tow man ever and he renewed my faith in humanity.

And they all lived happily ever after!

The End

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

The moral of the story: Always listen to your psychic, spiritually in tune grandmother.











1 comment:

  1. Kept me laughing through the whole thing! No wonder when Grandma was telling me about this she was laughing so hard she couldn't breathe! Wish I could've seen you guys trying to push the car. That sounds like a great bonding experience!

    ReplyDelete