Friday, December 23, 2011

The Prince of Peace

For some reason I have this bad habit of making friends who are older than me. Last December, almost all of my close friends graduated and left Rexburg. On top of that, I had my closest friends who were still in Rexburg completely abandon me. I had never had that experience before, and it messed me up. I couldn't (and still can't) figure out how I could just be dropped like that. I felt completely used. It was horrible. I can't tell you how many nights Jessica and I sat together and just cried. I wanted my "old" life back. During this time, I prayed that I could feel peace and reassurance that I would be ok.

At the beginning of the year, I moved into 105 with the only friends I had left. This was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I learned so much from these girls and I love them so much! They were just what I needed and I plan on staying good friends with them for a very long time! They and the some of the best boys ever pulled me out of my misery, fear and anxiety. I had peace in my life. 

Then came July and all those friends graduated or got married too. (You see this bad habit of mine?) I decided to move back home because I literally didn't know anyone to move in with and I didn't want to go three months living with unnecessary girl drama. The difference this time was that I now had that peace that I had prayed for. I continually pray that I will be able to keep that peace and I have been so incredibly blessed that I have been able to.

Now I am graduated from BYU-Idaho and will be going out into the real world for the first time. I have watched so many of my friends that have panicked about this next step. I see how afraid they are and the anxiety that they feel. I, on the other hand, have already gone through that phase. I did it about a year ago. I have also already worked my way through it. I'm not stupid, I know it will be a big adjustment and it won't be easy, but I am not afraid. I am so ready for that change. I don't have a job, and I have no clue where my life will go from here, but I feel peace.


At graduation, I was talking to a friend and he asked how I felt about graduating and moving on with life. I told him I wasn't that worried about it. He replied "well, I guess it's different for you cause you have your parents here." I was so irritated by that! This has nothing to do with the fact that I have my parents with me or that I happen to be from Rexburg. If he wanted to, he could move back in with his parents. No one is stopping him from doing that, but he wants to have his own life. Guess what, so do I!  I am doing the same thing everyone else is doing. I feel good about graduating because this is something that I have been working on all year. Not just the homework part, the mental part - the moving on part. I've already faced it and I am ready for it. I feel peace.

At church the other day we read Isaiah 9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."

I have been thinking about that scripture all week, especially the last four words. I have felt so blessed all year for having been given the wonderful gift of peace. It has made all the difference in my life this year. It is one of the greatest gifts that I have ever received, and I am eternally grateful for it. I still have trials and life is not perfect, but that peace gives me the reassurance that I am following God's plan for me. I hope that I am always able to live so that I can have that peace in my life.


The best part is that anyone can have this same gift. It has already been given to us, all we need to do is receive it.  


Merry Christmas!



5 comments:

  1. I really appreciated this post, especially for its honesty and optimism. I'm glad you feel hopeful about the future, and I'm also really excited you've coming to Cache valley.

    Also, the "it's different because your parents are here" comment? I'm not sure what I'm doing after I finish my master's, and I may be moving back to LA for the first time since 2007. I'm actually more afraid to come back to where I grew up than I would be in finding a new place somewhere else in the US or the World. What if going with a sure thing means missing out on a better opportunity I could have had? I think you have done and are doing an awesome thing.

    (PS: I have another blog now, but my comments are still essay-length! Sorry, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt, Thank you so much, I really do appreciate your comments! I just don't like when you argue with me :) I'm glad you got a blog again! Is it your same one as before, or is it a new one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, I loved this! I am so glad that you have found so much peace; I'm sure this will make it a much better transition. I'm so excited to see where the Lord takes you next!! No matter what, it will be somewhere joyful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one who knows you best, I can personally vouch for the fact that you lived life as any other student from wherever they came from. You were good at being a college student even though we lived in town. You lived in apartments, made friends from all over the place, always went to church at your college ward, and got involved in school activities. Sometimes, I think the students from elsewhere went home more than you did, and were less connected to the university life than you were. I'm proud of you for the way you did college. Now, I'm proud of you for moving on to your next chapter. Also, whoever said it "was different because your parents are here" must be an idiot. In a real sense, that can make it a lot more difficult. You've done it well, and I love you.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to miss you Allison. I will miss talking with you. You are a great friend and cousin and I admire you. Hope your new job is going well.

    ReplyDelete