Sunday, July 10, 2011

Meet in the Middle

Saturday we went rock climbing! Because I take way too many pictures, I will just talk about each one and the story will come.




Porter and I have been trying to go rock climbing all semester, but our schedules are complete opposites. Finally, we got it to happen!


I am an awesome climber!
Haha! Just kidding  :)


oh yeah, I'm really stylish rock climber too  :)



Jess and Mal came with us too. 
It was so much fun to have them there!


Mallory, ready to climb!


ok, these next pictures were actually my favorite part of the day. Porter would lead climb and set the top rope up for us. I was the belayer. This is us getting ready for the second climb of the day, where all the exciting stuff happened.


Porter was climbing and then he fell (it happens sometimes) and I caught him (cause I'm also an awesome belayer)! Unfortunately, I also managed to catch my pinky in the ATC. It was all the way up to my first knuckle! It hurt!

I didn't want to alarm anyone though, so I just pretended everything was fine. I figured Porter would get back on the rock and I could get my pinky out and no one would ever know. I kept telling Porter, "Get back on the rock. Just keep climbing. Get back on the rock. Keep climbing....." 


Porter was good and got back on the rock.....and then it broke! A huge chunk of the rock that was bigger than his whole hand just broke off! He obviously fell again, which put my finger farther into the ATC. 

I resumed my encouraging words, "Get back on the rock. Just keep climbing. Get back on the rock. Keep climbing....." However, Porter was so bewildered that he just sat there with all his weight on my pinky and looked at the rock. I started to prepare myself for the worst - losing my pinky. I'd always had weak pinkies anyway. It was a good pinky while it lasted though. We had a good run together......

Finally (it actually wasn't that long, but it seemed like it) Porter tossed the rock aside in disgust and said, "just let me down." 

".... I can't...." I finally had to admit, "My finger is stuck." 

 

My pinky after I got it out. 

I still don't have normal feeling in it. It's kind of a cross between being numb and that tingly feeling you get when your arm falls asleep. 

The good news is that nothing is broken and I get to have many more adventures with my pinky! My pinky will be around for some time yet!


Every time Porter fell, I would go flying towards the rock, but I always caught him!


This is me belaying very attentively


At the bottom of the rock was a giant swamp that had some impressive smells to go with it.


Every time I looked up, the sun is all I could see. It was stressful, cause I never knew what Porter was doing!


Once Porter got the rope ready to go, I had to show him up by climbing barefoot with a useless pinky. It was tough though, and none of us girls made it to the top. I think I could have gotten farther, but if you fell there was a huge swing, and I was terrified to swing.


They wanted me to do a spiderman pose, but this is as daring as I was 


Porter pulling me in so I don't land in the swamp


Jess


I love this picture because Porter is completely oblivious to the fact that I am taking a picture


This is the swing


Jess had a much better spiderman


On our way home we jumped into the river to cool off.


Actually, Porter and Jess jumped in the River


I walked in a ways and Mal put her feet in. We're really adventurous. 


Where we jumped in


After an hour of homework, we decided it was time for a break. 
Flashback to the 90's


Looking up


Exhausted

No comments:

Post a Comment